How The Method Works
The method relies on the daily observations of signs and symptoms that normally occur in a woman's body. It helps to identify the changes of the cervical mucus pattern as well as the temperature of the body at rest. These two signs are charted and assessed to help a woman or a couple to recognize the days of each cycle when the woman is fertile (when pregnancy can occur) or infertile. After learning to interpret the changes within her cycle, a woman will be able to monitor her own fertility, without contraceptive devices or chemicals.
Women Choose Natural Family Planning For Many Reasons:
- Easy to learn, convenient, and inexpensive.
- A scientifically reliable method.
- 98% - 99% effective in postponing a pregnancy when a certified instructor teaches the method and women are motivated to follow the method.
- Allows the planning of conception and the number of children conceived.
- Medically safe and has no adverse side effects.
- Completely natural.
- Tailored to the individual woman's cycle, making it different from the rhythm method and calendar method.
- Accepted by all religions and cultures.
The Benefits of Natural Family Planning:
- Provides knowledge and skills in understanding how one's body and cycles work together
- Builds confidence in understanding one's fertility
- Can be used throughout a woman's entire reproductive years
- Useful during special circumstances such as irregular cycles, breastfeading, and premenopause
- Assists couples dealing with infertility
- Creates co-responsibility among couples, which promotes and improves communication
- Strengthens relationships and families
- Facilitates early recognition of medical problems
- The Natural Family Planning Program
Basic information and instruction is provided in one class by a certified instructor. After attending this class, supervised follow-up is recommended for at least six menstrual cycles.
Phone consultation is available.
Individual instruction and/or follow-up is available by appointment.
Other Services Available:
- Fertility Awareness programs for adolescents, school students, college students, and church groups
- Supplies including thermometers, charts, and educational materials
- A lending library of books
- Natural Family Planning
- NFP is a program sponsored by the Lancaster Regional Medical Center
- 250 College Ave.
- Lancaster, PA 17603
- Classes are available by calling Theresa Squierdo, 626-9267