A History of St. James Catholic Church, Lititz, PA
Written by Richard Fleckenstein
Have you ever wondered how our blossoming St. James was planted right in the heart of the beautiful land of the Pennsylvania Dutch?
Once upon a time, in 1914, there were two Redemptorist Priests from New York conducting a two-week mission at St. Anthony's Church in Lancaster. The Pastor, Father Kaul had been informed by the Attorney of Mrs. Willson of Ephrata that her mansion and property, the Clair Point Stock Farm was offered for sale and she thought it would make a good place for educational purposes. The priests informed their Provincial, Very Rev. Joseph Schneider, and he sent two priests to Ephrata to investigate. Satisfied with their findings, Father Schneider needed permission from the Superior General in Rome to close the C. Ss. R. (Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer) foundation at Saratoga Springs, New York and transfer the community to Ephrata, to be nearer where the Fathers gave missions and have ready access and less expensive to the community. The superior General granted permission to buy the Ephrata property and to seek the Holy See's permission to sell the Saratoga property. However, the Saratoga property was not sold, due to the Willson Mansion being inadequate in size for the double purpose of housing both as a mission house and recuperation home for the sick Redemptorists. It would have been necessary to build, but World War I had just started and building was not possible. Saratoga was not given up and the transfer did not take place.
On April 13, 1914, the third Bishop of the Diocese of Harrisburg, the Most Rev. John W. Shanahan, D. D. wrote to Father Schneider, I would be very pleased to have your Fathers locate at Ephrata in this diocese. They would do much good here and I think that such a foundation would be mutually advantageous.
In June 1914, a group of Diocesan priests met at St. Anthony's Rectory as Father Kaul's guests and they sent a cordial invitation to the Redemptorists: We the undersigned priests of this Harrisburg Diocese express to you as Provincial of the Redemptorist Order our wishes and great desire that your order would secure the Ephrata property, it having been announced at the late conference by our Rt. Rev. Bishop, which was received with great favor and approval. It was signed by six priests from Lancaster, Columbia and Lebanon parishes. In August, the Redemptorists moved to the former Clare Point Stock Farm where Mr. Willson had raised and trained horses in a covered quarter mile training track, ring barn, and a half-mile track which was described in The Horse World Magazine as beyond question the finest track of its character in the world. The Redemptorists moved into the Willson Mansion and used their dining room as their chapel. The first Mass, held on the following Sunday, had thirteen persons present. The Willson Mansion was named St. Clement's Mission House. It was the center from which priests went to Harrisburg and Lancaster to conduct missions. Catholics had a total of five families or 28 souls as seen in the first census taken at the end of 1914.
Bishop Shanahan gave the Redemptorists the pastoral care of the Catholics living in 12 townships: Ephrata, Warwick, Elizabeth, Penn, Clay, W. Cocalico, E. Cocalico, Brecknock, Caernarvon, East Earl, West Earl and Earl. This contract was signed by the Bishop, Diocesan Consultors and the Redemptorist Provincial. This type of document required Rome's approval, which was received January 15, 1915.
In November 1915, Father William White was transferred from Saratoga Springs, New York to engage in parochial work from St. Clement Mission House in Ephrata. During the week, he would travel by horse and buggy or sleigh over the side roads and lanes around Ephrata, New Holland and Lititz. In Lititz, there were four families who had to travel to Lancaster by trolley, car or train to attend Mass. As time went by, he was accompanied by Father Peter Ebner, and when their mode of transportation changed, they chugged along in a Model T Ford, spending Sunday doing apostolic work, seeking lost sheep throughout the countryside.
By 1917, Father White rented a small front room in Lititz, on East Main Street west of Cedar Street, for $15.00 a month. On June 17, 1917, the Feast of Our Mother of Perpetual Help, he offered the first Mass in Lititz. At this point, the first Out-Mission from Ephrata was begun. From the journals: Mass was celebrated on Sunday, a sermon preached, and religious instruction given to the few children who attended. At the end of 1917, Father White reported an average of 23 in attendance!
Father White planted the small mustard seed, and he worked hard and prayed and pleaded, continuing his search around the Lititz area for lax persons in the practice of their faith. He discovered about 60 Catholics in and around Lititz. Their reasons included the distance to church in Lancaster and difficult means of transportation from outlying areas, as well as a hostile attitude by some of their neighbors who knew mostly negative views about the Catholic Church.
In March 1919, the small congregation moved to a room across the street, to the site of the present Lititz Post Office.
Father White opened the second out-mission from Ephrata in New Holland in July 1919 with a High Mass in the former Town Council Chamber of that town.
In November 1919, the St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church was offered for sale, and was purchased for $2,850.00 in the name of the Redemptorist Fathers. The bell was purchased later for $50.00.
Father White had prepared the church for the first Mass on April 4, 1920. In July, he spent his spare time renovating the church, by installing two altars, one of which was a shrine to Our Mother of Perpetual Help. He arranged to obtain a copy of this icon, which was painted on wood, and touched to the original which is enshrined in the Church of St. Alphonsus in Rome, and blessed by Pope Benedict XV. It arrived in Ephrata in May and Father decided to wait until June 19th, the feast of O. M. P. H. to solemnly unveil the picture. He had the weather vane on the steeple replaced with a cross. Father White said High Mass on August 1, 1920. St Anthony's Church, Lancaster, furnished the choir. About 170 persons were present, mostly from Lancaster. Between 20 and 30 were St. James faithful pioneers.
Father White continued to work between Lititz and New Holland, until being hospitalized in St. Joseph's Hospital, Lancaster on January 30, 1923 when he complained of severe stomach pains. He died in the hospital on February 5, 1923. Funeral services were held at Sacred Heart Church, Lancaster. He was buried from St. Peter's Church, Philadelphia. Father White started St. James and his devoted hard work provided a smooth transition for the succession of Redemptorists who followed in his steps. Many of the priests who followed in his footsteps were assigned for a short period of time, before being reassigned to a city church as a pastor or assistant pastor. Following Father White's death, Lititz was served by Father Michael Gannon in 1923, Father Michael Kleeman from 1924 - 1926, Father Alphonse Hild in 1927, Father Peter Ebner from 1927 - 1928 and Father William Murray in 1929. St James is indebted to all the early priests who shepherded and nurtured the young and faithful pioneer congregation!
Meanwhile, back in Ephrata, the original Willson Mansion, renamed St. Clement Mission House, had to be replaced with a new building which was built in the center of the former race track. The former track became the basis for the driveway which encircles the building, built in 1924 - 1925. The domestic chapel was used as the parish church by Ephrata area faithful.
Growth of the parish church and two out-missions was painfully slow. For example, Palm Sunday, April 1925, Mass attendance was 17 in Ephrata, 49 in Lititz, and nine in New Holland. Masses were said on alternate Sundays, between Lititz and New Holland, in the early years, with the faithful traveling by trolley, train or auto on alternate Sundays to attend Mass.
During the Great Depression, Ephrata began sending a priest for weekly Sunday Mass. Assigned Father Charles Schruefer came to care for 25 families, comprised of 92 Catholics, in June 1930. During the 1930's two Holy Cross Sisters were brought each Sunday from Sacred Heart Academy in Lancaster to instruct the children with the Baltimore Catechism in our Catholic faith. Father Schruefer was reassigned in 1939. He had molded the nucleus for a future parish at St. James out-mission, by his strength in the physical pursuits such as hand-digging out and finishing the church basement, and spiritually through strong and active societies, including the Altar Society for the women, the Holy Name Society for the men, Altar Boys and a well-run Sunday School, conducted by the Holy Cross Sisters for the children.
Father Francis Dotzler, arrived for a brief interval in 1939, followed by Father John Kappel later in 1939, who served St. James until 1941. Father Paul Koch was assigned in 1942 until the end of World War II in 1945, followed by Father Lawrence Meighan until 1946. Father William McCarthy served from 1946 to 1947. Although their time here was brief, they served faithfully and well.
Father James Clancy served from 1947 to 1956, during which time he had major additions to the church, new Hammond organ, replacing the small pump organ, a very active Catholic Youth Organization, and participation of formation of the Knights of Columbus Council No. 4191. After years of faithful service to his St. James flock, he was transferred.
During the mid-1950's, the area was growing through an influx of new manufacturers bringing in new people from other areas into the three towns and surrounding areas. The faithful felt the need to expand the spiritual facilities to build a parochial school. On Christmas Day, 1955, the announcement was made in the three churches that Bishop Leech had happily given permission to proceed to build a combined parish school. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held in July 1956. The Bernadine Sisters arrived in August 1957 and school opened in September, 1957 with an enrollment of 126 pupils. During this period, Father Clement Pirnak served from 1956 - 1957. Father Joseph Fein served 1957 - 1958 and Father John Keegan in 1959.
All had served faithfully and well during their short assignments to St. James.
Changes had taken place with the teaching of Sunday School, in the late 1950's, due to the closing of Sacred Heart Academy, Lancaster. Thus ended the years of faithful service by the beloved Holy Cross Sisters. They were succeeded by the Sisters of Mercy from St. Mary's Catholic Church Convent in Lancaster. Along with the Sisters, the classes were also taught by lay parishioners. The Immaculate Heart of Mary Sisters from Sacred Heart Church convent, Lancaster, served at times in the summer Bible School and in taking the parish census.
In May 1959, Father Joseph J. Driscoll, at 64 years of age, was assigned to St. James. He had served as the Catholic Chaplain at the U. S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. He started a renovation program, including new heating, painting, tiling the floors and purchasing the property adjoining the rear lawn of the church.
We were now in the time of changes made by the Vatican II Council, and they were implemented by Father Driscoll. Outgoing Father Driscoll greeted the Christian community of ministers with a warm and friendly manner. He was welcomed into the local ministerium and participated in co-operative community activities. He established a rapport with Linden Hall - then the second oldest girl's school in the country. He was active in Memorial Day services, as a flag bearer, honoring those who served their country in the Moravian Cemetery ceremonies, following a Memorial Day Mass at St. James, inaugurated by Father Driscoll. It was through him that the changes made by the Vatican II Council were implemented at St. James.
In May 1966, we purchased new books, The Parish Prays and Sings, which replaced our Latin missals. In October, 1966, a new altar was installed. During this time, the changes of styles of vestments, Father Driscoll was the last priest in St. James to wear the black biretta (a hard square black hat with three vertical projections). A multitude of changes took place during this transition.
In a letter to parishioners, dated January 25, 1967, Father Driscoll wrote: St. James will celebrate its Golden Jubilee this year of 1967. A parish that grows numerically must necessarily adapt its program to the changing times. If it is to do God's work and be His instrument in helping to save the souls of those entrusted to it, it must progress in a truly Catholic way and expand to meet the needs of all the people of God as God wills it.
That is why I am extending a special invitation to you to help reactivate our parish and continue the work of God. In accord with the spirit of the Vatican Council, we are calling on the laity, not only to lift the burden of the administrative work of the parish, but also we sincerely hope to give to the good people of the parish their rightful place in helping in the decisions and the policy of St. James - after all, the Church IS the people of God!
On February 6, 1967, an open meeting for all men and women was held for the nomination for the first Board of Laymen. This first council was nominated (16 men and 2 women) and a ballot was drawn up, with seven names voted on February 19, 1967.
Father Driscoll celebrated his 50th year as a Redemptorist. In May 1967, Father Francis Sands arrived at St. Clement's Mission House and began to assist Father Driscoll at St. James.
In March 1968, the inauguration of Boy Scout Troop #142 took place with 12 boys in attendance.
After nine years of service at St. James, Father Driscoll, at 72 years of age, was reassigned in June, 1968 to New Smyrna Beach, Florida and continued his dedicated work with zeal.
In June 1968, Father Francis Sands succeeded Father Driscoll. He had a variety of concerns to face, like the continuous growth of the congregation, inadequate parking and facilities, the education program, activating the Vatican II directives, all drew on Father Sands' energy. At this time, evening Masses were one of the outgrowths of Vatican II options. A Saturday evening Mass was established. He also initiated the first formal drive for the future Church. He received support and encouragement from Bishop Joseph Daley, and took the first step by purchasing the Becker site, for future use. In May 1972, Father Sands celebrated his Silver Jubilee of his priesthood. In April 1974, Father Sands was assigned to St. Joseph's Parish in Odenton Maryland.
In May 1974, Father Frances P. Nelson, C. Ss. R. was assigned to St. James. During his first four years, plans for the new church were prepared and construction commenced and was finally completed in 1978.
The Lititz Record Express issue of April 8, 1976 headlined St. James buys Doster tract for new church site. They reported that the 17-acre tract of land on Woodcrest Avenue was sold by Warwick School District for $90,010.00. St. James was top bidder. The parish committee worked on the floor plan, building requirements and 20-year plan for a new church. Previously the church bought the Becker site when the school district took the Doster tract off the market, formerly. New church plans called for seating for a minimum of 400 seats, compared to 132 seats at Front and Water Streets. There were 345 active families in the parish, comprised of 1,100 individual members. Of these, 220 children are enrolled in C. C. D. classes.
In the meantime, during the autumn of 1976, Rome had announced the Blessed John Neumann, a Redemptorist, would be canonized a saint. Discussion developed among the parishioners regarding the possibility of naming the new church on Woodcrest Avenue after John Neumann. The parishioners were asked to write their opinions, which they did, and overwhelmingly voted to keep the name of St. James. It was on the feast of John Neumann - January 5, 1977 - that St. James, which had been a mission of St. Clement Mission House, Ephrata, since its inception, was at this date established by Bishop Joseph Daley as a parish! Father Nelson became our first pastor of St. James! We were now a Parish with our Pastor!
During Father Nelson's tenure, Eucharistic Ministers and Cantors were chosen from the laity to serve St. James. Previously, Father Driscoll had started to implement the Vatican II directives by selecting readers (lectors) from the laity. Bishop Daley assigned Deacon Ralph E'del, a parishioner of St. Anne's Parish, Lancaster, as St. James' first deacon, in 1978.
Father Nelson organized the Men's Club, which replaced the Holy Name Society. The Women of St. James succeeded the former Ladies' Altar Society. The Legion of Mary was also established during this era.
Besides the professionally-run pledge drive, necessitated by the need to pay the large debt of the new church, there was introduced a very successful fund raiser. Organized and established by a dedicated group of the laity, they started the St. James Bingo on September 12, 1978, and have continued in the same dedicated manner, faithfully each Monday, since that time. The parishioner Staff and workers have all been volunteers. The Bingo has been well received and supported by the community at large.
On Sunday, July 2, 1978, Mass was celebrated for the last time at St. James on Front and Water Streets. After the 9:15 AM Mass, Father Nelson transferred the Blessed Sacrament in preparation for the first Mass at the new church at 11:30 AM. St. James was now in its new church on Woodcrest Avenue.
The church bell was later removed from the steeple, with great difficulty and special care and effort, and brought to our new church as a symbol and remembrance of our out-mission early years.
Dedication of the new St. James Church took place on Saturday, October 14, 1978, and it was blessed by the Most Reverend Joseph T. Daley, D. D., Bishop of the Diocese of Harrisburg.
Father Nelson accomplished a multitude of projects, in seven years here, before being assigned and transferred to Ellicott City, Maryland in 1981.
On July 15, 1981, Rev. Matthias Zeiler, C. Ss. R., arrived as the second pastor of St. James. He was installed by Monsignor Damien McGovern, the Dean of Lancaster County. The Parish Council was present at the Mass and participated at the installation which took place on July 19, 1981, at the 9:00 AM Mass.
During August 1981, the IHM Sisters held a summer school for the small children and also visited the homes in the parish. In September, 45 children were enrolled to attend O. M. P. H. School. In December 1981, Confirmation was held. Eighty were confirmed by Bishop William H. Keeler.
In February 1982, Father Zeiler noted that it was good to have two parishioners preparing for the diaconate and were making good progress.
One of the decisions reached during the Second Vatican Council was the restoration of the permanent deacon in the church, after a period of 1,000 years. The Diaconate is an ordained ministry. In this Sacrament of Holy Orders, the Bishop lays hands upon a man praying to God to empower him with gifts of the Holy Spirit, to help him in his ministry. Bishop Joseph Daley implemented this in St. James during 1978, when he assigned our first deacon, Ralph E'del, a parishioner of St. Anne's Church, Lancaster. Deacon E'Del served St. James faithfully and well until his death in 1984.
In July 1982, Rev. Lawrence Murphy, C. Ss. R. was assigned to St. James, to serve as Assistant Pastor.
In 1983, the two parishioners preparing for the diaconate received the Sacrament of Holy Orders from Bishop William H. Keeler. Deacon Matt Culley served St. James from 1983 to December 1986. Deacon Donald Hackman served St. James from 1983 to 2000. The deacon is a member of the clergy assigned by the Bishop to where he feels there is a need in the Diocese.
Father Zeiler, who had worked in Puerto Rico from his ordination until coming to Lititz was assigned to work in his native Baltimore, Maryland, after three years of faithful service as the second pastor of St. James, in 1984.
Rev. John Kresslein, C. Ss. R., was assigned to St. James in 1984 and became the third pastor. Father Kresslein came to St. James from the other former out-mission - turned parish at the same time as Lititz - Our Lady of Lourdes in New Holland, where he was the assistant pastor. He had worked for 21 years in the Redemptorist foreign missions in Puerto Rico and six years in the Dominican Republic.
Rev. Raymond Weithman
Rev. John Creaven
In 1984, Rev. Raymond Weithman, C. Ss. R.,was assigned as assistant pastor to succeed Father Murphy and served until 1986. In 1986, Rev. John Creaven, C. Ss. R., was assigned to succeed Father Weithman as Assistant Pastor.
In June 1989, Father Kresslein was honored by the parish on the occasion of his Fortieth Anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood. A dinner was held, in his honor, in the parish hall for the special observance.
A new two-story class room building for religious education was planned and built in the later 1980's. it has five beautiful and functional classrooms on each floor. The Parish Religious Education Program was an outgrowth of Vatican II. It was formerly referred to as CCD (Confraternity of Christian Doctrine). A religions education committee was formed, headed by a Staff Director and Catechists. The books of instruction were approved by the U. S. Bishops and carefully follow the bible and traditions of the Church.
The Legion of Mary was established in St. James during Father Nelson's pastorate and grew through the era of both Father Zeiler and Father Kresslein. Their spiritual work included visiting shut-ins, the sick in hospitals and in nursing homes.
In 1990, Father Kresslein was transferred to his native Baltimore, Maryland after six years of faithful service.
Rev. Raymond Collins, C. Ss. R., was assigned to St. James in the summer of 1990, and became our fourth pastor. Simultaneously, his brother, Rev. Francis Collins, C. Ss. R., was assigned to St. Anthony Church in Lancaster as the pastor.
Father Collins put great emphasis in the expansion of lay ministries. At the time, there were 1,450 parishioners, comprised of 694 families. He believed that the facility that was completed in 1990 was quite adequate for the present and near future. This was the era when church banners became the trend and we had seasonal changes of banners with simple applied designs like white doves and tongues of fire.
1992 became the 75th Anniversary of St. James! Father wanted bits of history provided each week in the church bulletin. So each week, for 26 weeks, there was a page of thumbnail sketches of St. James history.
Also, there was a Weekend of Celebration June 13 and 14, 1992 at the Family Style Restaurant on Route 30 East. Several guests were members of the early days of St. James, who came from out of state. On Saturday, there was a dinner dance and, on Sunday at 3 PM, an Ecumenical Vesper Service, followed by an open reception. Father Collins reminded us that a parish is as good as the people involved. Father Collins was transferred to Bethpage, Long Island, NY, in 1993.
Rev. Gerard Szymkowiak, C.Ss.R. arrived in August 1993, to become our fifth pastor. Father Gerard brought much beauty into the Church both inside and outside. The seasonal and holy days were uplifted with appropriate candles, decorations and flower arrangements. Outdoors, beautiful bushes, flowers in gardens, and an assortment of flowering trees with pink, white and yellow flowers in springtime and colored foliage in the fall.
Father Gerard introduced us to the spiritual writings of Blessed Sister Faustina, and the devotion of the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, including the Divine Mercy Sunday Mass, observed the first Sunday after Easter. St James was one of the early churches in the Lancaster Deanery to do so.
The Thursday Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament following the 9:00 AM Mass, until repose at 4:00 PM, the Hours of Great Mercy prayers are said at 3:00 PM, and followed by the Chaplet. It is a great privilege for people of St. James to have Adoration, except on Holy Thursday.
In early summer of 1999, the corpus of the crucified Christ, which was made in a studio in Italy, arrived. It was in a coffin-like crate and, after a long and arduous task of bringing the cross down to the floor, attaching the corpus to the heavy wooden cross and erecting the cross, depicting the suffering, dying Christ the Redeemer, entitled CRISTO DEL TACCA, became a moving and memorable inspiration to the parishioners.
After nine years of spiritual enrichment for the parish, Father Gerard was transferred to Sacred Heart of Jesus Church, as pastor, in his native Baltimore, Maryland in 2002.
Father James O'Blaney arrived from Saratoga Springs, New York, in August, 2002, to an ever-growing St. James. Father understood the monumental task of enlarging the church to meet the growing needs. The church was enlarged by eliminating the hallway at the back of the church, thus expanding the seating to about 150-175 additional seats. The expanse of space took place in the sanctuary area as well. A platform was built from the sacristy wall and door over to the outside of the triple windows, facing to the left of the crucifix. Thereupon an additional platform was built, extending from the outside of the Triple windows on the left and right of center to become the floor for the altar, tabernacle table, lectern, priest's chair, etc. The dimensions and height greatly improved the appearance of the sanctuary and the elevated choir, organ and piano space. The expanded church was painted a deep gold, and the wall behind the altar, tabernacle and crucifix and between the triple windows was stippled in dappled effect of different tones of bright gold, effectively enhancing and emphasizing the whole altar area and crucifix. Our Mother of Perpetual Help icon was placed left of the triple windows, and the icon of St. James to the right of the triple windows. Both icons were enhanced with a blue enlarged background. In the newly extended back of the church, the image of the Divine Mercy is set on an alcove. There is also a picture of St. Faustina. The old statue of the Blessed Mother on a pedestal, and a new wood St. Joseph statue on the opposite side, with both statues sided with electric candles - blue for Mary and gold for Joseph.
The Narthex and hallways on both sides of the Church have been tiled with flagstone appearing ceramic tiles. Ceiling tiles have been replaced and a beautiful built in setting for our Pieta. All these and many more practical and beautiful changes have taken place over a long period of time.
Father O'Blaney celebrated his 50th anniversary of his ordination and was celebrated with a beautiful Mass and Celebration with family and friends from previous parishes. It was enjoyed by all.
At this time in May 2009, St. James has 3,684 parishioners or 1,256 families, with these numbers increasing. Our 100th Anniversary is just eight years away!
In the meantime, to paraphrase the old Baltimore Catechism, we must know God, love God, and serve God in this world to be happy with Him in the next. Let us thank God for all the blessings received in the past and pray for continued guidance in the future.